Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Spring is gone, and no sun yet...


Spring is over, summer is supposed to be here, but we had so far about 10 sunny days, since the beginning of spring.
the upside of this is that we don't need to water the garden. The corn is growing great!
But the downside.. :/ It's been raining for days and days and weeks and we are getting cabin fever.
We go outside everyday, rain or shine (mostly rain apparently..) but not enough.
We usually have errands in the morning, or I take a nice walk so that's about one hour outdoors,then we go to the park from 5 to 7pm more or less, so that's an other two hours.
But the few days of sun we spend the entire morning out, in the park, garden or forest, and I let the toddler run, no stroller. With the rain I can't just let him take his time, we'd all be soaked before we reach destination..
On sunny days we also take the afternoon snack in the garden, and play for a while before going to the park.. 
I am so frustrated about the weather. :/ It's really depressing. I wouldn't have thought that it could have such a huge impact on my mood!
trying to keep the toddler busy, indoors. Coloring is not working, for now. He does love chicken though :) and crayons!
and eggs! Can't wait to have our own chickens!
The happy baby :)

Anyway.
In the past couple weeks we harvested :

-some rhubarb (enough to make a quart of compote)
-lettuce, then I took it all out because the slugs got the best of it
-lavender!
-exactly 5 pea pods. lol again, our friends the slugs ate everything else before the flowers even came out.

and foraged from the park:
-redcurrant (eaten on premises) 
-raspberries! SCORE! not a huge amount but it was such a surprise. They were growing on the very top of an old wall, surrounding the play area. Corbi and I ate about 20 each and we brought some home to decorate a cake.

The weather has been so bad, that we got a dryer.

 
I can't keep up with the cloth line. It takes only a couple hours on warm sunny windy day.. But it's closer to 3 or 4 days because it gets almost dry, then it rains on it.. pfff and by day 4th the laundry smells moldy and I have to wash it again.
Now that we have a dryer, I am thinking about cloth diapering.
To be continued!

No comments: