Friday, April 3, 2009

Looking for a direction...

Art project with the kids: our room looks good, here are some pictures :)

things have evolved a little bit and I'm quite happy with the results :)

We have purple mountains, a tree, a sky with starry night, sunset and clouds etc.
and these are the plants, drying, so we can put them in place tomorrow.
Wednesday I went in the room to pick up some construction paper, and I saw someone wrote on the walls.. :( I was so sad and disappointed... Some teenager wrote "Welcome in the Art room!!" and drew some flags. Nothing very offensive, but it was on the light yellow paint of the walls so it really shows..

Then Thursday we had a staff lunch so that we get a chance to meet each other and talk and chat randomly. It was bright and sunny. I sat down and talked a little bit. At some point an other staff member started talking about her boyfriends and how she never ever wants to get married. "And by the way why people even get married?" I was very surprised to hear that on the workplace. I mean two weeks ago we had a meeting with all parents of the afterschool program to insist on the importance of family time, and of community... We work every day to make up for the consequences of broken families. If anywhere some people should value strong family connexions that should be HERE. Why say that? And worse, the new director agreed, he mentioned the french civil pact, that lasts 5 years, saying it's a great alternative. Really? Are you promoting disposable family? What happen after 5 years? You just break free? Oh I was so surprised!
The worst part in my opinion is that if they really believe so they are hypocrits. On one hand they say to the parents: "work on your families" and to the fundations" we defend strong family values" and on the other hand they could care less because " every one is different and have different opinion..." Well I'm sorry but we just had a meeting about how freaking important it is for a child to have both parents working together to rise him/her in order to succeed and have a healthy life.
Anyway just venting my incomprehension.
Later that afternoon I went to the art room again, to clean up the flags and welcome... And here I find a new teacher. He is Art Teacher.
"Great! welcome enjoy your work here, sorry for the mess we're in the middle of a project, but I'll organize better the stuff...
- Oh no worries, see we are going to redecorate this entire room! :)"
BIG huge smile on his face.
I felt like the ground was opening under my feet.
I hesitated between fainting and bursting in tears.

I let him know that we're not even done with our project, that the room was white for months.. That at least he should wait until we're done with the younger children...
He said " oh well, let me know, because the teens are really excited about this project!"
There it hurt me even more. This guy is a new teacher, obviously he started without anyone telling him that we had a project going on. But the children who come here EVERYDAY, including week ends, THEY should know their own little borthers and sisters are doing something. THEY should have noticed that the room was being a little more colorful every week.
How could they not say : " nice project teacher, but I think some kids are already doing this..."

It's like swiming across the ocean of indifference... I hope I'm halfway throught it...

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh...I'm so frustrated for you...I was so excited to see the pictures too?
I just said a Hail Mary for your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)