Thursday, May 24, 2012

Why I let my toddler in front of TV

My big boy is not even two, yet he watches TV.
I'm not too proud about it. It started at the end of pregnancy for #2. I needed a break from the busy toddler before moving on with dinner/bath/bedtime. and reading stories can only last so long.
Then the baby was so small, I was still recovering from the C-section and couldn't play for hours on etc.
Little by little we got into the habit and I really appreciate to have that "instant" baby sitter some days.

I let him watch mostly DVDs, we have three so far one are little kids songs with a playdough animation, and two are the adventures of a little car called Brum, it's a lot of mimes and music.
He has seen those three dvds countless time, but he never gets tired of it!
We also use youtube or netflix to look up Brum or Thomas the train or papa beaver stories.

TV time is anywhere between a couple minutes (to wait till lunch is ready) to 45 minutes if I really need the time/break.

I tried to do without any TV at all.. but now I don't think it would be so much better, either for my kids or for myself.
I see two huge benefits for ME while my kid watches his show
-I know he'll stay safely where he is, more or less, at least the first 10 minutes
-it's a little humbling for me too ;)

I don't want to be condescending when I hear about other parenting styles. I do what I think is best for my child of course, but sometimes it's ok to not be supermom, and to have a little bit of "help" from the screen.

I'm fine with the screen time because it remains a special treat, just like I try to not give chocolate or candy everyday, but he still gets some pretty often!


No comments: