Monday, May 21, 2012

CSA fail

We were part of a CSA when we lived in the Bronx, it was fun and interesting, but really not a conclusive experience. I felt that we were getting only things that could not be sold, the odd ends.
During our CSA experience we received kohlrabbi almost every week, and some leefy greens, and a few other things, but it always seemed like not much produce at all.
Well now that we are settled in our area we found a producer that is doing CSA too. We were thinking of giving it a try.
Luckily some friends in our village went away for a week and gave us their share so we could see what we get.
Keep in mind that the share is supposed to provide fresh vegetables for two people for a week.
Our basket holds:
-one small lettuce
-a bunch of radishes, but the leaves are all eaten by some pest, it looks like lace! I couldn't use it for soup..
-one little bunch of carrots
- about a quarter pound of shallots
-some arugula.
I love arugula so I was really happy about that! But it yielded one plate. Maybe two as a side dish.


But let's be real this is NOT feeding two persons for a week.
the weekly share is 10 euros, about 12 $.
I would pay maybe 50cts for the lettuce, it's 1,50 at the store but they are much larger.
1,50 for the radishes, 1 for the shallots, 1 for the carrots and 50cts for the aragula.
total: 6$ not 12...

2 CSA, 2 different places, 2 experiences I'm not ready to try again! 

No comments: