Friday, May 18, 2012

a garden overview

Our main vegetable area, the raised beds.
Front left are leeks and spinach, front right are San marzano tomatoes (from seeds!).
Bottom left are beets and lettuce and bottom right are peppers (can't remember which are which, my husband grew them from seeds too)

Way in the back are strawberries and rhubarb on the right (under the honeysuckle).
the tree is a cherry tree but it is old and sick and so far the birds got the the few good cherries before us.  Along the fence, left of the cherry tree are a few surviving peas and even further left I have a couple pumpkin plants that just came up. that brings up almost to the composter.
This back corner is a work in progress.. The husband extended the deck, but we plan on removing the two huge bushes that are taking over in the back. You can probably see the composter in the back right. I haven't used it yet, I really need to take better care of it.
Under the deck are hops, that require urgent care (twine to grow on) and a blueberry bush. They were two of them but the other one died a couple weeks after installation.

On the wall next to the deck we have a couple pots for container gardening. Two cherry tomatoes and four pepper plants. We also had watermelon but they died and I am pretty sure the climate is not good for them.. we'll see what we can plant there instead.

and this is our tiny corn corner. I have great hopes this year!

that is our beautiful tool shed, and collection of various weeds. We plan on moving the tools somewhere else to raise chicken here. I can't wait to get fresh eggs!
And this is back in the upper garden, in front of the kitchen door, my little herb garden. The mint that burned to the ground last year is back from the dead, and taking over! Marrocan mint and chocolate mint. We also have thyme and basil.

There are many areas in the garden that can be improved, we take it one step at a time, while keeping up with what we already have.
The main next project is the arrival of our chicken, coming soon!

No comments: