Thursday, October 8, 2009

asking for the right thing...

This morning at church the reading was Luke, 11:5-13.
"And I tell you, ask and you will receive;
seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks, receives;
and the one who seeks, finds;
and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
What father among you would hand his son a snake
when he asks for a fish?
Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg?
If you then, who are wicked,
know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit
to those who ask him?”
As the reading went on I was wondering why I'm still not pregnant, as it seems like a reasonable request, which would bring lots of happiness, but also quite a lot of trials so it would be good for me in many ways...
But then came the last line of the gospel: "
how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him" and I wondered if I was asking the right thing.
I am very happy with Mr L., and thankful for it. But somewhere in the back of my head I'm looking forward for the next step: a real bed (done), a vacum cleaner, a baby... I'm happy but not quite content in the present.
Ste Terese has a beautiful poem about having only today. We are poor in the future, we have but today to live our lives. (really if you can read that poem, it's beautiful)

I have all I need. Today I am content. I can be even more thankful :)

1 comment:

Dawn said...

No answers, friend.