Happy new year every one!
May you year bring you fulfilling relationships and serenity!
I spent part of new year's eve at work. I brought brownies, steaks and some veggies to cook for the residents. And also a Hogmanay's black bun that I didn't have time to bake at home.
Actually most of the residents had a night pass to spend the new year with their families. And Sam had an extended permission, to come home at 9PM. SO I ended up alone with Burt.
Burt is a young american guy, he is 21 years old. He has learning disabilities and cannot read very well. he did 6th grade four times before he quit school for his first incarceration. Then in and out. His mom is very harsh on him, she calls him "failure" or "stupid". I'm not trying to give him excuses, but I still think bad decisions start with lack of self-confidence, self-respect and a stable source of love.
So anyway Burt got night pass in the past to stay with his mom or girlfriend (and their 3 years old daughter), but he missed many curfews. As in:
we call our residents at home, on their landline, to make sure they stay home after 9:00PM. We required to do so by the court. I think it's a smart way to reduce occasion of problems.. Anyway Burt misses his curfews. He usually answers the phone at 9:00 PM, but when we call back at 10:00 or 11:00, his mom cannot find him.
On Christmas he went out with "a girl". Because " he is a pretty boy in his prime, he is not gay, he needs to have a girl". Obviously not his girlfriend because we called there too (just in case).
So anyway Burt had to stay home yesterday, and he was upset. He thinks it's an unfair punishment for just a missed phone call. We tried to explain him that this phone call is our only guarantee (if any) that he is not out getting in trouble.. He just doesn't get it. Phonecall.is.not.a.big.deal. He was genuinely doing nothing wrong (could be discussed... but nothing illegal at least).
So here I was with Burt. He was sulking, watching TV, ignoring me and my attempts to cheer him up.
Then the sisters came downstairs (they live on the last floor, in the house) and warmed up what I brought (steaks and hashbrowns) they also brought ketchup.
Miracle ketchup. Burt smiled and said: " oh I didn't know we had ketchup"
and we set up the table in the residents' living room, and ate a little, just Burt, E. sister R. and me.
I think Burt was happy to see a special occasion, just for him, and ketchup was a sign :)
We usually eat downstairs, in the cafetaria, because it's closer ot the stove. We ate all the 4 of us and sister R. did the chit-chat.
Burt was thankful. He complimented me for the cooking (!) and said thank you (!!!!). He even thanked E. again after I left!!
This is my new year's eve miracle. Because Burt is not a thankful person. He is always considering himself like a victime, thinking we try to put him down.
I hope he slowly gets that we care, and we try to help..
That really gave hope for a better 2009.
1 comment:
I think it is a miracle when we watched someone change for the better.
I love that.
Post a Comment