Tuesday, January 6, 2009

birthdays

My dad turned 61 yesterday! Happy birthday old man!
He is so happy with my nephew :)
My sister is in between 2 appartments and cannot leave him in day care for a while, so she let him with her in-laws and with my parents alternatively.
My dad loves to have little snacks with the baby..


Here he is in November 2007, only a few months old. Now he is 18 months :) and eats...

I hope my sister sends me more pictures soon.

And today was my husband birthday, he just hit the 25 years old milestone!
He stayed home today, and probably for the rest of the week because he screw his back on January 1st!
Poor dear... We call each other grandma/grandpa because of our broken bones.. His back gets pinched and my joints are sensitive to weather change (arthritis?), and we went to bed at 6:30PM Sunday night.
I'm really grateful to have him in my life :)
He was looking into a bunch of old papers the other day and he found his "first year album". I had a great time looking at all the old pictures and comments from his mom. It was really touching. I didn't get the chance to meet her and he foundly remembers her. I was glad to read some fun, lively comments about Phil as a baby (a happy one if I trust the slightly-biased commenter). It was a great birthday activity.

Today (or Sunday) was/is also my name's day. :) I'm very blessed to have the wise men as patron saints. :) Tiphaine= Theophania, and it's celebrated on Epiphany!
My family celebrates name's day. We get flowers or a small something, like some chocolate or a special treat at the bakery. I wanted to do a king's cake for hubby (and myself!) but I couldn't find fluffpastry or ground almonds at the local grocery store... what a barbaric country!

1 comment:

Kate said...

fluffpastry = puff pastry? I know there are a couple brands in the US, but it's certainly not common. If you had a lot of patience you could try to make your own.

I made a traditional New Orleans style King Cake today. A lot less delicate than the sort you get in France, I'm sure - it's a pretty basic brioche with pecan filling, twisted and shaped like a ring, with a little trinket - usually a little baby - hidden in it. We hid a holy medal in it. :-) Gui got the medal in his very first piece!

We also did a house blessing today, with the initials of the three kings inscribed over the door like this:

20
C + M + B
09

The letters also stand for a latin blessing Christus Mansionem Benidicimus (?) I'm sure I declined that incorrectly, but anyway, you get the idea. :-)

I hope you had a fantastic name-day!