Thursday, October 2, 2008

censured

Good day at work! :)
I was on night supervision yesterday and that went great! The first good evening in a while! And that felt good. :)
Nothing extraordinary, but actually that's what makes it good ;)
doesn't mean the week was great for our guys, but at least yesterday night was back on tracks.
During our weekly meeting we decided to censure "the wire". the new coordinator of the program got a netflix account for our residents, but we decided that they couldn't queue whatever they like. Recently they were watching "the wire" and all of the staff members agreed that it's promoting bad behaviors.
Some of our residents are very young and immature, and desperately in need for role models, and it seems that watching this TV show comforts them in their idealized image of who they should look like...
Yes they seriously think this is soooooooo cooooooooollllll man!
well how to say that.. my 6 years old nephew agrees. ;)

So we already had to explain why they can't wear caps and Du-rags all the time...

I feel sorry that we have to censure so much. Sometimes I seriously wonder if it's so bad to wear a cap inside, or to watch a tv show that thousands of others watch.
How would I feel if someone tells me I can't watch House anymore??? Or that I can't wear jewelery or whatever...

But then I realize that what I watch and wear are not harmful to me.
Watching tv shows about drug dealers and wearing Du Rag keep them in a "ghetto" state of mind, which brought them in trouble at the first place.

Sure we are not going to restrict everything, we didn't care about Melvin wearing a Du-rag until one night they were all wearing one... just like a new kind of uniform!

So yeah I'm not very proud we had to censure a tv show.. but I think that was the best decision in this configuration.
One of my co-workers has been working a detox center in Peru, and she said she saw many people falling back in drugs when a popular TV show came out about a drug dealer's life... I know, Peru doesn't sound like they would have that kind of TV shows before the US, but seems like they did!!

so anyway I'm still thinking about it. Censured. What else could we do?
Teach them on which criteria it's fun to watch TV and when you know it influences you in a bad way..? well then they wouldn't be in our program, right?
That would be a sign of great succes: when one can define his own limits :)
see freedom shows up again, just when we talk about limits... :)

No comments: