Thursday, September 18, 2008

my mom

My mom is wonderful :)
I admire her a lot.
She is optimist, I think it';s something genetic in her family, on the x chromosome, so girls get more of it :)
you probably know that text of the letter to the Corinthians:
Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Well one day a priest told me to replace Love with my name, and try to live that as much as possible.
I still try, but my mom succeeded. Not as in championship success.
She is patient and kind, does not envy or boast. Never proud or rude or selfish or anything like that.
I don't want copy my mom, we have different opinions on many things, different ways to carry on with life, but I sure want to be like her.
I was reading a touching post the other day, and I was thinking about the nice things that I've learned from my parents.
My mom has been a teacher for almost 40 years, 25 of them in the same high school. She had good years and bad years. She was so happy to retire ( last summer) She really deserves it. She's been heroic with her students recently:
less support from hierarchy, more aggressivity from youngsters...
She's been married to my father for more than 25 years too.. She stayed with him through illness and sickness, and he had PLENTY, chronic and irreversible ones.. One day I was telling her, and she said :
" well that could be worse! He could be in the coma, or have eilzeimer(? the disease where you end up forgetting people..) "
This is even more heroic when you know my dad was in psychiatric hospital that day, with a serious heart dysfunction on top of that...

So yep, I've read somewhere that having your parents still married increases your chances to never get divorced.
When I think of my mom I know why, on bad days she thinks of all the good days, and she knows there will be better ones, and that it could be even worse :)

I love my mom :)

this is us, at my cousin's wedding in august 2008

1 comment:

Laura said...

Very sweet. I hope your mother is able to read this.