Implementing little changes around the house, I realize a lot of things can be homemade, no matter where you live and how much land you have..
Recently I've been switching to 99% homemade for laundry products and I am actually happy with the results! :)
I had given up after my husband requested a more scented laundry, but it works super well with some essential oil!
My recipes:
-For laundry detergent:
melt one bar of soap in 4 cups water
pour 4 gallons of hot from the tap water in a 5 gallons bucket
add your melted soap
add about one and a half cups of washing soda
stir well (I use a whisk)
cover with lid and let sit overnight.
I store the huge bucket next to the washing machine, and use an old laundry detergent container that I refill when needed, it's smaller and easier to use.
In the little container I pour the detergent (using a ladle or an funnel) and I add 5 drops of lavender oil + 2 drops of tea tree.
-For softner in the washing machine:
I simply use a bottle of white vinegar in which I add 10 drops of lavender oil
I hang the laundry usually. But we recently invested in a dryer.. because the wheather has been so humid, nothing gets a chance to dry before it smells like mold :/
-for dryer sheets:
I have a bottle of left over homemade softener (the "ecological-green" kind)
in a small box with a lid (it previously held frame hanging bits from Ikea) I poured a couple tablespoons of that storebought softener, then a couple tablespoons of my vinegar thing and filled almost to the top with distilled water.
I used microfiber cloths to act as the sheets themselves. I'm pretty sure any cotton cloth would do just fine.
wring out liquid and toss in the dryer.
the dryer sheet can go straight back in the box after using.
in the drawers, against moths:
little bags filled with lavender
-for ironing:
I don't iron much else but shirts and dishrags (they are stored in a drawer and need to be extra flat to fit all at once)
I switch from using plain tap water to distilled water for calcium reasons. We have really hard water here..
Now I use a one liter bottle, filled almost to the top with distilled water, to which I add some vinegar and a few drops of lavender oil.
It turned ironing in a very pleasing experience :)
The best part: you can buy all of those products in a store, but rarely can you find them all with the same scent. Now my laundry smells "match" lol. It's not an overpowering smell, but I am very pleased that it's not a battle for the strongest scent between the detergent, softener, shower gel etc.
And added bonus:
WAYYYYY cheaper!!!
way better for everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment