We tend to generalize stereotypes from personal experiences, especially from bad experiences. For example I have very bad experience with paperwork, so I usually have a bad a-priori against administrative staff. I am sometimes pleasantly surprised though :)
As the years pass I am getting fed more and more stereotypes, especially about religion. Where I come from religion is not a big deal. Some people take it seriously and follow their traditions, others don't have beliefs, it's a peaceful (somewhat ignoring) coexistence, as far as I've seen it. In the USA I feel much more passions going on. I came across some people whose mission in life is to tell you that Jesus Christ died for you. I also met some people whose mission is to wake you up from all the lies of religion. Both sides are fed with stereotypes of the most activists in the opposite side...
All this introduction to get to my recent inner conflict. I have to admit I love the magazine "Above Rubies". I really love reading it, but there are many articles on which I disagree. I appreciate so many others, and I am very glad to be able to read that kind of encouraging material. For me it is very bold.
Basically it's a magazine to praise women as wives and mothers and give advices, inspiring stories, tips and recipes for everyday life.
Where I have a problem with it is the "mission" part. I love that magazine but I take and leave. I don't take it as a way of life. I don't think every woman in the world should marry, have children and stay at home. Unfortunately my magazine seems to have opinions about it. And it bothers me.
But hey isn't it the same with Cosmo? Or Marie-Claire? Where every woman is supposed to have a lover at least once to spice up things, or to have a shopping session every month and 5 colors of nail polish in her bathroom...
Just different applications of stereotypes.
Anyway I was reading ahead for mass today and I came across this:
"Jesus said to his disciples:
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’
will enter the Kingdom of heaven,
but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven."
Sometimes we are tempted to follow the letter more than the spirit, to get so involved in details about what we should look like as followers of a specific religion, that we are at risk to forget the spirit behind it.
When I see people who are strong in their faith I tend to admire them, not so much for their practice, but for the wisdom and love that seems to glow around them.
And this is the important thing, not what they wear, or their morning routine, what matters at the end of the day is to do all things with love.
It's not because someone says "Jesus, Jesus" in every sentence that they are going to be better persons. I think there is more love in refusing to judge someone than in distributing food at the soup kitchen.
This is my wish for this year (hey it's advent so it's somehow the new year):
to not say negative comments about people.
They are very easy to escape my attention, even if it's only about looks or pretentious people, who knows what they are going through..? I'll say nothing, something positive or something non-judgmental. I think nothing is safer :)
This is probably a very confused post, and I'm sorry that I can't get more clear.. I'm working on it.
2 comments:
I know what you mean. To listen to the spirit, and not follow the letter of the law is IT. The whole point. Because the spirit points to sin in ME, never the others. Romans 2v28:For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh:
29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter, whose praise is not from men but from God.
I really believe that God blesses those who seek Him, who truly in their hearts want to be good, Not those who follow certain rules or guidelines. Sorry this is so long...I enjoy your blog, it is always thought-provoking, and you make me smile! I hope you still write when you move back to France!
della
I never, in a thousand years, would have guessed that you read Above Rubies. My mother receives it, and I must admit that each time I am home I like to catch up with it simply to horrify myself. While I am frightened by a lot of their agenda, I do love how they encourage adoption.
As for the actual substance of your post, I must agree. But you know, having our fancy rules is so much easier than actually following God and loving others! ;-)
Post a Comment