Friday, November 27, 2009

Thankful, pregnancy edition


1# I am thankful for : being pregnant! :)
2# I am thankful for : my husband. I love him bunches.
3# I am thankful for : feeling sick. It is normal, and it helps me relax, knowing everything is going the way it should. When I want to whine (and well, sometimes I do whine) I remember how blessed I am to have this little baby growing, and that all is fine. I am glad I have a way to know things are ok. Even if that sign is sickness.

I found a few things that help me feel better and I'll share them here.

Against constant stomachache, I am thankful for
- eating often, small portions
- eating meat, lots of turkey yesterday, thin slices of munching from 3 pm to 7pm, no stomachache all evening!!
- changing position: laying down feels heavenly, until pain comes back, sitting up feels great, until pain comes back.. Walking around always helps. Alternating all of those is the best way to keep pain in check. Standing still is definetly the fastest to become painful.
(not my shower!! but you get the idea of how thankful I am)
- shower! I found this GREAT way of getting a tummy massage!! :) I take a quick breakfast, then a quick shower in the morning, when the pain is biggest (probably from not eating at night), then I turn the water a little bit warmer and I lay in the bath tub, with the shower on. The flow of water aiming on my belly. It feels wonderful. The pressure of the water is just perfect, as I am low it is not too hard on my skin, very relaxing. After some time I turn around, and expose my back (still as low as possible, like a cat in a ball) but not quite as long because I feel guilty to waste water.. Anyway after this I am so relaxed and warm and feeling SO much better. I did it only twice so far but those were my best mornings since pregnant.
-seltzer water : I usually avoid it because of the price, our local supermarket don't have generic, only LaCroix with delicious lemon flavor but it's $1.39 per bottle. Now I splurge. It taste too good to pass. :) A little pampering helps the mood.



Against insomnia I am thankful for:
- a glass of water and a snack by my bedside. Grapes is my favorite night snack because it is sweet and small, so I can have exactly as much as I want. Water is so important, I wake up parched every now and then, having a glass full of water right there saves me trips to the fridge that would entirely wake me up..


- peaceful bedtime stories. My wonderful husband read me a chapter of the wind in the willows the other night. I didn't wake up once that night!!! He is an excellent reader (I think he should do theater at least as a hobby because he is really gifted) and I love these cute stories.. As a contrast we recently watched the alien movies, and I didn't sleep that well the following evenings.. I'm like a kid again!!
- night bath. I tried this once, the night when I was up for 3 hours straight. I finnaly took a hot bath, and went to bed afterwards. I think exhaustion won, but it may have been the bath.
- prayer of the middle of the night. This didn't help me to sleep, but at least I knew many monks all over the world are getting up to pray. This somehow made me feel better.
- internet, again didn't do much for the sleep, but kept me busy and entertained at 3 am. :)

I don't think I have more so far. My good resolution of the week is to go for a walk everyday. The days when I stay home are much harder on the mood, and physically too. I think the combo fresh air + moving a little helps. :)
Have a great week end of Thanksgiving!! :)

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Good luck with the sickness!