Tuesday, October 13, 2009

more church ups and downs...

Sunday was not a good day for churches around here..
I went to my parish for mass in the morning. The priest let a member of the finances committee talk instead of the homily. He explained the expenses and income and said they would need more volunteers to help.
At that point I was thinking: oh why not?!
I gave my contact info to 3 different persons in the parish, plus the regular registration form, and I didn't hear back from anyone about doing CCD or any service. So when they announced officially that they needed help my first thought was : hey maybe after all there is something I can do to help. I don't know much about finances but I'm smart and I have plenty of time to learn about it. Maybe nobody contacted me for sacrament preparation so I could be open to this ...

So after mass when every one starts to leave I look around for the guy who spoke. Not there. I ask a few people if they know where to sign up, but no one knows. I went to the rectory, at the reception desk, but they didn't even know someone spoke about this that day.
I was very sad. Very frustrated.. :( It's no fun to be the useless servant!
The hardest thing is that SOMEONE asked for volunteers, but NO ONE knew how to contact them/him. How pointless!

Anyway.
Then we went to Mr L's church. We went there only 3 times. No offense but each time it was a different preacher, and they were all very flat. I mean I listened to them, but it was not alive. It didn't sound sincere or challenging. A little bit like when kids read poetry for school, well at least when I was a kid. It was boring even to me and I just said my sentences because I had to. That feeling..
We decided to look for a new church for him. I'm actually excited about it! :)

I love my parish. I went to mass this morning and, as each time so far, the priest did a short homely that really got me thinking. Whenever they speak I am thankful for good pastors. But I wish there was also some kind of fellowship where I could fit. Like a young adult group or a sharing group. I wish they would actually be happy to ask me for help. It feels good to be useful. But oh well, at least I know where to find great food for the road. :)
And I can do volunteering in other networks.
I've been thinking about pregnancy center. I'm not sure if I should do it again or not.
And prison. I really had great sharing groups in Rikers. And prisons are really packed with cheap theology. People who use fear and guilt and shame, who make it superstition more than relation... there is a great need for humans with big ears in there. Just listen. Keep your big mouth shut for 5 min.

Anyway, digressing again.

1 comment:

Mary said...

There is someone at your church or your diocese who needs your help. I know that. It is finding the right person to ask.