Thursday, October 1, 2009

Family stories-2 - Pepe Paul

Last time I told about my great grand mother Renee Degroix-Guillemain. Today I'll tell you more about her husband. I have not known him but I heard a lot about him. He was quite a character.
I don't know much about his childhood, I don't even know if he had siblings. My sister probably does though. Anyway he went to WWI and got engaged to my great grand mother. He was wounded and came back. His wound was pretty impressive. He had a hole in his tight, and my dad says as a kid he could pass his hand through it. I have no idea how this is possible, but I believe him. My uncle developed a great passion for WWI, probably by listening to his stories..
After the war he worked in the city hall of Domont. He was secretary in the major office, which was a pretty good job back then, and brought him much respect. He was also actively involved with the veterans associations. I have seen many many pictures of him, in many official celebrations.
During WWII he could not fight because of his leg, but he set up a plan to provide milk in schools for the children. I don't know much more.
There are many funny stories about him. My favorite is how he dieted.
His doctor told him he needed to diet. He should have a yogurt in the evening.
And so he did. Every night he would eat his yogurt. And then dinner! :)

I think we all have stories of cheating diets..
Mr L's mom would put pies on the higher shelves to cool down, "so the calories get scared and jump"...

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Love these stories.