Tuesday, September 8, 2009

home sweet home

Look at this beautiful place! Guess what? I live here!!!
kitchen (we even got place mat just because..)

the bedroom, no cardboxes in there. :) The bed is an air matrass. I put it up during the day to read comfortably but we take it down at night because it hurts Mr. L.'s back. I don't mind either way.

the home office: brand new desk and chair. It's crucial to have a working environment, DH is the only bread winner for a few months, and he works from home for now, so yes this was before the bed in the priority list..

and here you can appreciate the just-moved-in look: office (in DH's back)

and living room


I'm currently unemployed. I quit my job to move here, and my visa was depending on the work place. Thankfully I'm still legal, as I'm married with a citizen, but I can't work until I get an autorization, as in I can't work till I get a green card. Well I'd need to apply before anything can happen! :)
Just waiting for the next paycheck. It's amazing how much there is to buy for a new house! Stools, desk, chairs, bed, coach, tables, endless hangers and shelving systems... the list goes on and on.
Right now my top 3 are: bed, shelves, and a step/stool for reaching top shelves in closets. Well my top 2 would be the green card application actually, but it's not directly for the house...

As I'm unemployed my days are pretty free. I don't go out too much because I have no money to spend, and it's hard to not end up in home depot or the container store, lurking wonderful bookshelves or a multitude of tiny household widgets..

Today went by quite quickly, still I feel like I didn't do much! I cleaned and put away laundry and some stuff from various boxes (it becomes difficult to find a place for each thing as we are missing those shelves..) and I baked :)
I did 16 beans smoky soup and biscotti.

The biscotti have a story to it. First of all biscotti are good :) Especially with coffee. :) or tea :D
Then we had this huge pack of salted almonds that I didn't know what to do with (why I brought them in the move, I don't know) and last, but not least, I wanted to do something using the kitchen aid.

result: very nice! great taste, missing the almond extract but still very tasty :)
result on the kitchen aid: FAIL. So I tried to follow the recipe, using the kitchen aid to "stir" and "mix" together the flour, sugar and baking powder. Hmm it was way more complicated than using a regular fork, or whisk if you really have to be fancy! Oh well this was the ok part. Then came the almonds and eggs to add in the mix. The kitchen aid doesn't reach the bottom of its own bowl! So the top of the mixture was squishy and sticky and the bottom was intact flour!
I ended up mixing it with my old friend fork, and I finished the job by hands.
Kitchen aid didn't do much to get my favors. I just got more (heavy )dishes to wash.
Now maybe the attachements are a different story. Mr L. wants to make saussages. And that sounds like a good idea :)

For the almonds I simply washed them to get rid of saltiness, and put them in the oven for 10 min, then I mashed them in a bag, like this:

After baking a little bit I feel more at home. I also did a new batch of laundry detergent. I'm actually quite proud of it (so far). In the bathroom box I found this cute lavender soap that my mom gave us when we were in France. So I tried a lavender batch! :) I also added a couple drops of lavender oil to the mix. I does smell good. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but soon hopefully :)


It feels weird to be home with not too much activity. I can't help thinking that if we had a kid I'd be begging for 1/2h of quiet to tidy up a corner.. But right now I feel pretty empty. :(
Reasons to rejoice I'm not pregnant yet:
- biscotti are great dipped in coffee :) coffee is good :)
- I moved about 35 boxes by myself all the way to the 3rd floor last Tuesday when Mr L was returning the truck. I'm glad I don't have to worry about miscarriage.
- We are so much more relaxed in here, even during a move! This puts chances up our way. :) And Mr L is so encouraging. When I'm feeling down (like the day I get my period, again) he keeps reminding me that we need to give it some time, all comes when the time is right.
crossing fingers. :)

5 comments:

Morgan said...

Do you think the Kitchenaid will grow on you? I would like to get one to make bread someday. I hope they don't make for more work then mixing by hand on most things.
..

Anonymous said...

My husband made bread with it and it was a success. I guess it shows its capacities when used for the right things. Like making bread, if you don't like kneading for 20 min by hands.. Or the attachments. There are very interesting ones. Hubby would like to try duck sausages. There is also pasta cutting attachment, or meat grounders.. I would recommend checking craigslist or ebay because a lot of people sell them for less than in store and they are still barely used.

Kate said...

I LOVE my Kitchenaid (it was a wonderful surprise gift for my last birthday, second-hand but unused). But I really don't haul it out for just anything - I use a whisk or wooden spoon for most batters etc.

With two very active boys, it's really handy for breadmaking. I use an bread machine yeast - one you can mix in dry - and then there are fewer bowls and no mess.

Other things the Kitchenaid does best: Mashes potatoes. Whips cream (fast and fluffy!). Makes meringue (no more sore wrists). And we are looking forward to someday having the pasta maker attachment, food mill attachment, and my husband (like yours) really wants the sausage maker.

ps. your new place looks great! and i'm glad you're publishing an rss feed again, I was always forgetting to check your blog before and now I have so much catching up to do!

Dawn said...

Bless your heart about getting your period.. again. I love the house, it looks great!!

Mary said...

I'm praying for that baby. Your place looks great.