I went back to the pregnancy center, after 2 weeks of being too weak/sick/tired... (and also afraid of contaminating pregnant women with mono, what a nightmare the tiredness of pregnancy + mono!! )
So it was pretty quiet for the morning. I chatted with some other volunteers, we discussed our different approaches, some encouraging stories.. It was nice. :) I felt like an old veteran of life because they were 18-20 years old, and they seemed YOUNG to me (all old and grown up at 25 ahahaha) anyway it was a good discussion..
Then it got much more busy around noon. I saw B. She was there a few weeks ago, and came back for more talking :)
She comes from a country abroad. She won the lottery of green cards! She hurried to marry her boyfriend before she left, because she will stay at least 5 years here before he can join her.
Now she has been here since November, and she is pregnant. Her boyfriend is in a similar situation, married abroad but alone here. She lives with a family member who doesn't even know she has a boyfriend here. What a situation! She is quite religious and says her situation is a sin. She still think she can't keep the baby. In the meantime she is happy about him/her. And so is her boyfriend. She showed me her sonogram. Just a little peanut :)
So we talked some more about her situation. Apparently not much people knows about it. I feel like I'm her main confident! So we discussed about her marriage. If she really wanted to get married, if she actually thought before getting engaged, or if they did it out of fear more than for desire to commit...
It's a difficult place to be, but I think it's a blessing! This baby forces her to stop and think, think hard about her life and decisions, and be honest about it. If not to others at least to herself.
I pray she keeps that baby, and make choices in her life. right now her problems come from not being able to decide. She can't say no, and she ends up without real choices, led only by other people's decisions. She realized that she can now make decisions to give a direction for her future: talk to her husband, or leave him. Talk to her boyfriend about future, or leave him. Or leave both.
She says it's too much to make any decision right now. So her first step is to get a GED. I say "go girl!"
No comments:
Post a Comment