
Book Club Monday, hosted by Kate, starts... now!
I started reading Till we have faces (CS Lewis), unfortunately I read only the first chapter and I don't have much comments, because I didn't understand much so far..
It would be my first book of CS Lewis. I've seen the disney adaptation of Alice, didn't like it too much.
On the other hand I have studied the golden ass in Latin class in college, where the myth of Cupid and Psyche was first collected. In the golden ass the myth of Psyche is a story in a story, almost like an interlude in the mist of numerous adventures. If you are interested in the myth I suggest you visit the wikipedia page, it's pretty clear and well done.
When I was a kid I had this beautiful book called " East of the Sun, West of the Moon" a traditional tale illustrated by PJ Lynch.
The story was about the same as the myth of Psyche, with slight differences.I loved this album. I couldn't find any picture of it on the web, but I hope to post some pics from my book when I visit my parents in April :)
So about Till we have faces:
-it was a little difficult for me to understand the context: where/ when.. I'm very bad with science fiction and authors' created worlds. I get in a book much more easily when I can figure out in which continent/era it is set.
- same for the characters: which is a god or a slave? The Fox especially got me confused... I guess it's the first chapter, characters are introduced, and settings, and they didn't mix well with my busy schedule of ... RELAX (theme of the week end)
- I finally got into the book on the very last pages of the first chapter, when it became more clear that the Fox is kind of a tutor for the princesses, and when the step mother is introduced.
It's a very interesting figure of the step mother, as she is not overpowering but tiny, and not mean and tyrannic, but terrified herself..
I'm looking forward for the following of the book!
To be continued next Monday! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment