Tonight Mr L. was working from home, and I was on the go. I prepared smoked bean soup and served him a bowl. He was on a phone conference but gestured very much to show his appreciation. Made me really happy! :)
ingredients:
- a 1lb bag of dried lima beans (big flat white beans= habas in spanish)
- a pound of carrots
-2 or 3 potatoes
- a small chorizo (I used two four inches chorizo and 3 diced slices of bacon)
- bouillon in cube (sazon, adobo etc. I use a cube of beef bouillon, some adobo and some chicken stock from my freezer)
- lots of water (about 2 liters/ a half gallon)
-2 spoons of smoke in a bottle
- a big pot
in the morning:
- I put the dried beans in a big salad bowl, I started a full kettle, when boiling I poured all the water on top of the beans.
- As long as I was doing breakfast I sliced chorizo and bacon, and cooked them in a pan.
- Once cooked I drain them andput them aside on a little plate (to get rid of the melted fat)
This evening:
- I peeled and diced carrots and potatoes.
- add them to the water and chicken broth in the big pot
- add drained beans
- add flavoring to taste (beef bouillon, salt, smoke, pepper) Easy on salt as the other bouillons contain some, and so does the pork.
- let boil slowly (as in once it boils turn it down) for 45 min (until when you taste a bean it is all smushy)
- serve with the bacon and chorizo. (I personally like it better with no meat, but some cheese and sour cream)
For cooking time I went to check twice: once after 30 min, it was almost cooked (the beans get darker when cooking, just slightly, but you can tell they are not cooked when it's still white in the middle). The second time it was ready! :) And it's ok to overcook this dish. :)
ENJOY!!
For next time I'll add a few tomatoes with the carrots and potatoes.
It's really filling, I was fine with one plate and I have a very big appetite.
2 comments:
What makes it "smoked?"
(I love bean soup.)
smoked: the smoke in a bottle! :)
I got the tiny bottle for the BBQ recipes, it's really good! all natural, basically it's hickory and water. just a spoon gives the whole soup a smoky flavor...
Post a Comment