Our friend Burt's case was discussed thoroughly during our last residential meeting.
Burt is our resident who missed phone curfew so many time that we decided to refuse him the night pass from now on.
Problem: we're preparing him for a responsible independent life, in a few months he's gonna be out and about all night if he wishes so.
But right now we're legally tied with a curfew that he does n't take seriously.
On top of that he is doing pretty good every where else: finished 2 formations, actively looking for a job, helping around, punctual in daytime whereabouts...
We considered giving him one more chance for a night pass. But his principal counselor opposed. She said: "if we let him go home again, we put him in a position of failing curfew again. It's not a solution."
She was so right. So we decided to give him an extra day pass. Now he can go twice a week, during day time, to spend time with his daughter, or girlfriend, or both...
A good compromise that doesn't put him in position to fail again, and aknowledge some progress despite his missed curfews.
For the 3 kings we handed out 500 pieces puzzles to the kids. Burt took one because he was bored (job search is taking longer than expected..). So anyway he was desperate to finish the puzzle, his counselor and I showed him a few tricks and techniques and he was SO proud when it was done :)
He now did 2 other puzzles.
I'm both happy and sad. Happy to see him taking an interest in something, succeeding in something difficult, he has learning disabilities, is a very slow reader, and it's such a handicap in everyday life... But I'm a little saddened when I see how much he craves for recognition, encouragement and self esteem.
It's like his only features so far have been:
-I'm young and sexy,
-I'm strong (somewhat)
-I'm part of a group
-I can be threatening.
I really hope this puzzle thing helps him realize there is so much more to his life...
Our other guys are doing fine. The most ready to go is the family father. He is really responsible. he now goes home 4 nights a week. Never missed a curfew.
I'm happy when I see it's going somewhere. It's been so hard last year when we had mainly desperate teens. Our program needs hope to work, hope and will to change.
Supporting families really do make a huge difference. they provide encouragement, motivation, and give life an immediate sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment