Saturday, January 17, 2009

changing the world, one person at a time

I like that kind of motto for schools. I saw it a couple times on T shirts in our After school program. I wonder if I would even dare say it, but our organization tries to do the same.
We try to make each of our guys feel important, and respectable. It takes time, and energy, and lots of faith and hope. Some of them are hiding deep under a mask of toughness. Some hang on their shattering references: money, power or lust...
The most important step towards reinsertion (and non-recidive!), is self-respect. Once their image of themselves changes for a better one, everything is possible.

Today I have a group of teens. We're going to start the structured part of a sharing group about the theology of the body. We had a informal session at the end of November, to show them some short movies with Jason Evert to present the program, and they were asking for more... Theology of the body for teens is a form of sexual education from the catholic Church. But it's so much more than this. It's a great tool to talk about difficult topics like the sense in Life, in death, the difference between lust and love, what is a healthy relationship... and self respect.
All of that without shame, fear or guilt.
Sounds almost too good to be true... I read the curriculum and it totally makes sense to me. I hope the teens we see today will enjoy it and think about it.

Well I wonder if I have been clear enough, the message here is for all parents, god parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents... Anyone who has a special educational link with a teenager: Self-respect should be the number one value to pass on. A youth with self-respect is armed for life.
I would personally link it to faith, because it's obvious to me, but insist on it even if you're agnostic or atheist (and many teens are going through this). In this regard little things become important, when I get a present for my goddaughter or my cousin, the first question I ask myself is: "is this going to strengthen or lessen her self-image?"

Now my good resolution for 2009 would be to be more attentive to our residents. To look at them, especially the youngers like Burt, like I would at my cousin, with more caring, and more good will.

Any advice welcome...

1 comment:

16 blessings'mom said...

I'm not sure I'm talking about the same thing here, but I always tell my kids they are smart, and pretty, and good. If they ask me how they look, I say something positive, even if I don't think it's 100% true. They need to know they are worthy of respect. I didn't always feel this way, I thought I should refrain from this so they wouldn't be too proud. But now I see that teens and young people are SO lacking in self-esteem, they NEED to be happy with themselves. Then they aren't so easily swayed, or shaken by comments or opinions of others. Just to be able to say, "NO" to things takes tremendous bravery for teens. It is a real gift you have, to see straight to the heart, and not be put off by the tough exteriors. Thank you for sharing your experiences...