Friday, December 19, 2008

Recession, what recession?

I haven't write about work life in a while...
Today I woke up at 3:30. Yes 3:30 AM. :) the father organized an adoration night to pray for the future of our ATI and family center. Because of the recession problems, lack of staff, lack of motivated staff, lack of people who understand the spirit of the founders.
I had the 4:00 to 6:00 AM shift. I end up staying till 7:00 Am because the father forgot to come back... ooops. I didn't know what to do.

Then I went on my day... Great shape till 3:00 PM, now I'll probably take a little nap. I have a date tonight with DH. We're going caroling with friends. It will be my first time caroling, I'm very excited!

SO about recession... We recieved donations today. They were expected, we were not sure just how much we would receive.
A LOT!!
The catholic Charities delivered 150 bags wednesday. Each bag customed for our families, with a coat per person (age and size appropriate) and bedding stuff, and socks or gloves or PJ...
And today we received personnal donations from partner-parishes. 2 full cars.
Almost trucks... about 200 more individual packages with sheets, bath towels, fleece sweaters and teens gifts!
And I'm not even talking about the toys!! I hope I'll find the camera by Sunday so I can take pictures. Last year it was just amazing, a whole ROOM was full of presents, almost up to the ceiling... Well not all that much, but higher than me! We receive about 350 children that day, and they all receive at least 3 toys/clothes..












I'm so thankful! I was a little worried that we would receive almost nothing, because it's been hard for everyone lately.
But some people are faithful. Or beyond the aleas of the rest of the world..
Sometimes I wonder if I'm not the one who is appart from the rest of the world...
I don't know what is normal anymore. I feel priviledge because I live in a 2 rooms appartement, with our own kitchen, bathroom, all on the same floor, and I know most our families share appartement with an other family, so they can also share the rent.
I feel priveledge to witness the profusion of gifts we received. I'm glad I met the ladies who brought all the gifts from the other parish. They looked expensive I thought. Funny how I'm defiant towards good looking people... So anyway they were awesome :) And very kind and sweet. They even showed me how they got some of the bath towels embroidered with the name of the kid. I was thinking "waouh with that money we could have bought 20 pairs of socks.."
But then I realized how thoughtful that was. How quick I am to judge... (not proud) the child who receive sheets with his name will know that someone thought about him, personally. That she is special, and someone cared enough to get her some towels with her name and a little cat embroidered.
This is priceless.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I have seen some remarkable generosity this season as well.
When I collected money for the cleaning staff at school, the faculty members with the smallest salaries were forking over the biggest bills.
I was very touched by it.
Good post.