I *heart* my work. My job is the reason why I came to New York, the reason why I quit being a well-paid-for-life teacher in France, why I left my family and friends to settle down in the Bronx, it's been a year last week that I'm here.
I'm happy, I'm glad I did so!
Of course I miss my family, and my friends, and the deliciousness of my country, but I feel I'm doing the right thing.
I work in an alternative to incarceration (ATI) center. Difficult to explain.
It's a house that help offenders to get back on tracks. It's NOT a prison, it's not even an halfway house. We have residents and non-residents. All on their own will, that's our strength, if they decide the program is too hard, or simply not good for them, they can leave..
The residents (up to 12 men) come home every evening, they receive counseling, they take part in a program, go back to school, look for a job, go to the gym (!) and so on. Our House become their home, well this is what we hope, this is what we work for... :)
This past week we've been preparing for the 15th anniversary (this coming Sunday), it's been busy and a little stressful, but I'm proud. I'm proud to be a part of it. I'm proud to say that in 15 years and more than 200 residents, there have been only 2 men back in jail. Less then 1 % of recidivism!
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment